Washington State Real Estate Law Resources
Real estate law is extremely complicated and can implicate state statutes, regulations, and case law, as well as United States Supreme Court decisions and various federal anti-discrimination statutes. As a result, it is highly advisable for anyone with a legal issue related to real estate law to discuss their options with an experienced real estate law attorney. Below are some helpful links for anyone with questions regarding real estate law or how to find a real estate professional that can help you resolve your matter quickly and favorably.
Real Estate License Lookup
Search Washington State Business and Professional Licenses – This site allows you to search all professional and business licenses issued by the state of Washington to find a real estate professional or to determine whether a person who is soliciting you holds an active license. In addition to real estate, you can also find information on licenses issued to other professionals, including appraisers, auctioneers, land inspectors, notaries, and land surveyors.
Research Washington State Real Estate Laws
Read Washington State laws and rules related to the regulation of real estate – This link will take you to the Washington State Department of Licensing’s page with links to its Real Estate Lawbook as well as any rulemaking activity that may be happening on the administrative level.
Washington State Zoning and Planning Agencies
Below is a list of links to the homepages of various city agencies that regulate zoning and planning within Washington State. There, you will be able to find information regarding zoning regulations, apply for various permits, find links to various resources, and obtain contact information.
- Seattle Department of Planning and Development
- Spokane Department of Building and Planning
- City of Tacoma Planning Services
- City of Vancouver Land Use Planning Page
- City of Bellevue Planning & Community Development
Links to Federal Agencies and Laws that Relate to Real Estate
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development – This agency website contains general information on homes, communities, and laws and regulations that relate to real estate in the United States.
- HUD list of Federal Laws and Presidential Executive Orders that relate to Fair Housing – This page, maintained by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, provides visitors with a list of laws regarding fair housing regulations related to age, disability, race, and their enforcement.
Links to Lawyers and other Legal Resource
- Dickson Law Group – The Dickson Law Group is a real estate law firm that maintains offices in Tacoma and Washington. They routinely handle matters related to Washington real estate law, including real estate disputes, foreclosures, short sales, easements and boundary disputes, and issues with commercial tenants. Another Dickson Law Group website that relates specifically to their real estate practice can be found here.
- Washington State Courts – This link provides information regarding actives cases in the Washington State judicial system, information about particular courts, as well as various self-help resources.
- United States Courts – Certain issues related to real estate matters within Washington State may be litigated or otherwise resolved in federal court. This link provides information to the U.S. Court system as well as various resources links.
- Washington State Bar Association – The state bar association is the agency that regulates attorneys in Washington. On this site, you can find information about attorneys licensed in the state of Washington as well as other resources for legal consumers.