Loan modification options for property investors (non owner-occupied properties)

The Obama legislation, which passed in March, aimed specifically to assist those in danger of losing their primary residence to foreclosure.  It was thought that individuals purchasing property for investment (namely those acquiring property then leasing it out) would not be eligible under the new law.
While that has not changed, our office has seen some interesting movement by banks and loan servicers regarding investment properties.  Under many circumstances, even the investor may gain some relief through loan modification.

Seattle_-_Belmont_Pl_E_01Banks/servicers largely follow the same pattern as the owner-occupied loan modifications.  First, they require a signed forbearance agreement, then they require an extensive disclosure of the investor’s financial status in the form of a “Hardship Packet”.  When they have those two things in hand, the servicer/bank will decide whether to modify the loan.  The following is what is most often required:

1.  Letter describing hardship

2.  Last two pay stubs

3.  Length of time at current employer

4.  One month’s complete bank statement

5.  Most recent tax return

6.  Statement of your complete income (including family members residing with you)

7.  Proof of paid property taxes, homeowners insurance, and HOA fees

8.  (If self-employed): (a)  Profit/loss statements; (b)  three pay stubs; (c)  last two years tax returns; and (d)  business and personal bank statements.